Alessandro Maggiori Centre – Collection of Drawings by Ancient Masters

Location

Monte San Giusto

This is the last group of drawings in the region by some of the most representative Italian masters between the 16th and 19th centuries, assembled by the scholar and art collector Alessandro Maggiori from Fermo over a period of thirty years between the 18th and 19th centuries, and which then went on to become part of the heritage of the Comune of Monte San Giusto in 1925.

The collection, at the time of Maggiori’s death in 1834, gradually started to be broken up, the pieces finding their way little by little into the antiques market. What now remains is a single sheet  by Giovan Battista Salvi known as il Sassoferrato (1609 – 1685), conserved in an Italian public collection, a drawing by Domenichino (1581 – 1641) and two drawing by Guercino (1591 – 1666).