Church of Santa Maria in Vepretis [Holy Mary in the Thicket]

Location

San Ginesio

Over the ages, many events affected the church of Santa Maria in Vepretis until the 18th century when it acquired its present appearance. The brickwork exterior is characterised by rather simple architectural forms and is divided into two levels, with a quadrangular portal with similarly essential linearity. The interior consists of a single chamber plan with six side chapels that open onto the nave with a roof made of wooden trusses, interspersed with pseudo-Tuscan pilasters. The presbytery, above the the nutwood choir, houses the altarpiece with the Assumption of the Virgin attributed to Carlo Maratta (1625-1713), whilst the other decorative elements are mainly in the minor altars in stucco created by Cipriano Morelli from Camerino.