The earliest information about this church, with its three-aisle basilica plan, dates back to 1234. The original nucleus, however, is most probably from the 12th century. Significant restoration work took place between the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th centuries following two earthquakes. The most important work that determined its present appearance, especially the interior, was carried out in 1833. With reflooring and the transformation of the presbytery from three apses to a quadrangular base with a rectilinear wall, major changes were also made to the chevet area as well as the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, that is decorated in extremely sumptuous white stucco and which represents, along with the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Bologna, one of the most interesting examples of art and architecture in the mountains of Macerata. Finally, the altarpiece with the Conversion of Saint Paul by Giovan Battista Gaulli, known as “Il Baciccio”, (1639-1709) made specifically for this church and now conserved in the town hall.