Church of San Filippo Benizi [Saint Philip Benizi]

Location

Montefano

29 March 1694 saw the start of construction on a much older structure of the church that was dedicated to Saint Philip Benizi (1233-1285), propagator and Superior of the Order of the Servants of Mary, who had been recently canonised. The building, over the course of the 19th century and the first two decades of the 20th, underwent a number of internal modifications: three lateral altars were built from scratch (dedicated to the Seven Holy Founders of the Servites, to Saint Peregrine Latiosi and to Saint Lucy), decorations were made for the high altar and for the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows by the Recanati painter Tibalducci, the pulpit was then re-arranged and the bell tower was renovated, the other paintings were restored by Ignazio Piolati and those depicting Saint Lucy and Saint Liborius were replaced respectively by a statue of Saint Anthonu of Padua and by a painting of the Seven Holy Founders. The oil marbling of the walls was carried out in 1896, the gilded stucco on the cornice and the capitals was touched up and the images of saints and blesseds of the Order were painted between the ovals on the vault by the artist Nazzareno Aquilanti.